Instagram

Instagram I'm on Instagram!

Monday, March 31, 2008

Norah Gaughan Collection Vol 1



Yesterday I finished Aumu. I used Berroco Pure Merino Nuance in grey. The yarn is very spongy and soft it was great to work with and it feels very soft against the skin. I tried to control the color variations but after a while I gave up. I think it looks fine but every once in a while when I look at it , it surprises me. I have to get used to it.

This was a very easy pattern all knit in one piece. I notice as I was knitting that my knit stitches look uneven and it was driving me crazy wondering what I was doing different. I read this great article in Knitty.com and found out that is just the way they look which also holds true for Berroco Peruvia which I used for the Tilted Duster.

Up next is Juliet from zephyrstyle.com

In sewing news...I finished the muslin for New Look 6723 and it will be on its way to NJ tomorrow. In the meantime I will put together the muslin for my dress for the wedding.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

New pattern for wedding dress





The picture shows what my future SIL decided on for her wedding dress. I know, I know it is not the dress I was working on. I will still make the Butterick, New Look blend because I fitted the new muslin I made and it looks great on her. I figure if I cannot get it done for the wedding parties, she can take it on her honeymoon which is not inmediatedly after the wedding.

So the new fabric and pattern...She chose a gorgeous silk shantung from B&J Fabrics and a Jackie Kennedy/60's style dress. I will be making the view with the sweetheart neckline. I just got my sewing machine back from maintenance so I will be quickly making a muslin of this pattern and sending it off to her for fitting. This time around I have a very good idea of her size and should be pretty straight forward.

In my next post I will show you all the new fabric I got and where, and I will talk about the dress I hope to be able to make for me to wear at the wedding.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

My current sewing project




Right now I am working on a very exciting project, I am making my future SIL 's wedding dress. No, it is not a traditional wedding dress but just a pretty and elegant dress. I am combining the bodice of Butterick 4188,view B and the skirt of NewLook 6348. You can see my first muslin which turned out way to big...

Next week I'm off to NY for a fitting and fabric shopping. Because I will have the kids with me we will do fun things with them too so that they will put up with the fabric shopping.

I am learning some new techniques during this project:

1. Full bust adjustment
2. S-darts as described by Threads Magazine July 2003
3. Blending two patterns
4. Drafting tulip sleeves. Instead of the cap the bride wants tulip sleeves and Ann from Gorgeous Things directed me to Roberta Carr's Couture The Art of Fine Sewing for how to draft my own.

Right now my machine is being serviced (annual cleanup) so I will have to use my mom's machine to put together the new muslin for next week.

I read Carolyn's post about her favorite fabric shops in NY and I'm bringing the list with me. I'll let you know how it all goes!

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The Tilted Duster from Interweave Knits Fall 2007



This is my quickest turnaround, from the time I bought the yarn at Stitches East, Baltimore in the fall to finished time about 4 months later. Of course the fact that I had surgery in that time frame and spent a lot of time sitting around helped.

Yarn used: Berroco Peruvia in Chipotle (I think)
Size: Smallest

I added a single crochet and crab stitch (backward single crochet) to the hem because the stockinette sections kept curling up. I also attached the sleeves before sewing the sides, sewed the sides and sleeves seams in one pass and then picked up stitches to work on the skirt.

I love my new sweater!

Monday, March 03, 2008

Huckleberry Ascot


I am trying to post the last of my winter projects before spring is here. So here is the ascot from Interweave Knits Holiday Gifts 2007.

This was a relatively quick project that offered the opportunity to try some new techniques. This incorporates short rows to give the scarf the width at the ends and bobles to finish off the ruffle. The hardest part was picking up 120 stitches to make the bobles.

I love this scarf! I used the recommended yarn Blue Sky Alpacas Melange which is wonderfully soft and luxurious. But beware I was short and had to substitute with a similar yarn to finish bounding off.