Friday, December 14, 2012
Burda Style 9/2011 109
So this project was planned last winter and when the weather got warmer I set it aside.
This year when I picked it up I realized that the bodice could be washed but because I was using wool crepe for the skirt it would need dry cleaning ( I did preshrink it in the dryer but I prefer the dry cleaner for certain wool garments). I decided anyways that I could still get the look of the dress but have two pieces that I could also use with other garments and so I made a top and a skirt.
Top 108 I had turned into a dress that I love so now I shortened the pattern into a top. Like I did before the neckline is just turned and stitched. The skirt was very easy, just a rectangle with gathers and a waistband. I like the ribbon and button embellishment which I kept but I shortened my skirt to the knee since I will get more use of the skirt at that length. I did not line it since I wanted to reduce any extra bulk at the gathers and I was planning to wear a full slip. I also did not add pockets.
The waistband I made using the instructions in "Easy Guide to Sewing Skirts", it is a book I love and I refer to it time and again.