Thursday, October 27, 2011

Butterick 4080 and what I'm knitting

I hope this is the last apron I show you for a while! =). This apron had the big ruffles on the shoulder straps that the Peter Pan director (drama teacher) had requested. I changed the pockets to make them practical, since Nana (the nanny/dog) carries stuff around and she needed a place to put it. The pocket tops are finished with purchased bias binding.

The fabric I used for the ruffles and ties was lightweight so I doubled the ruffles and I used a stiff netting sandwiched between the layers to make the ruffles to "perk up".

how shoulder straps attach to waistband  

I have a number of knitting projects all on the finishing stage. Since I can't have some knitting when watching tv and I am bored with the Missoni scarf currently in progress, I started a new project. It is a dress from Phildar in a yummy merino wool yarn.

Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Victorian Apron

Butterick 5509

Yesterday I delivered the apron and the two caps for the play. They were very happy with them.

The eyelet fabric and ruffle were in my stash, I bought a bit of bleached muslin to use as lining and interfacing since I did not want to use fuseable interfacing on the eyelet. I also used muslin for the collar because I ran out of eyelet.

I used the border as the hem.

This is a good pattern if you need a Victorian era apron =)

The caps are from Butterick 3071

I spent yesterday afternoon going around with one of the assistant directors looking for props for the show. We were amazed at the generosity of our local businesses!, where we didn't get a discount it was because the items we needed were donated or given on loan. I have my van packed with stuff that I will deliver this morning to the school where once again we are gathering to put the set together.

Have a wonderful weekend and as always happy sewing!

Monday, October 17, 2011

Aprons and caps, oh boy!

So I have managed to cut and interface all the pieces for these two patterns.

I am making the one in the middle and it will be worn by the maid in Peter Pan.

The teacher/director wanted an apron with ruffles on the shoulders for Nana (the nanny/dog)so I'm making a large size and I hope it will fit around the dog outfit the student will be wearing.

I dug into my stash of white fabrics and I also purchased some bleached muslin. I made the caps which are from Butterick 3071 which I made a few years ago.

I have Paco's maxi skirt cut and waiting to be sewn but it has to wait =( . After I'm done with the aprons I will tackle the Peter Pan tunic, and by then I will be helping with the fabric to cover the stage props.

I'm trying to keep up with the blog reading, forgive me if I'm not leaving as many comments as I usually do!

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Burda Style 5/2010 Knit dress 105

This dress has been reviewed many times, it is a very easy to make pattern and very easy to wear. Since my fabric, a rayon knit is lightweight I added a lining to the skirt.

As you can see this is a very large print and I tried to space out the flower centers as well as I could, considering that I had very little fabric to play around with (note to self, when buying large prints always get a little more!)

I wanted to show you this dress when I had some time to take pictures, so this was a quick session (no accessories and flip flops =0 !) I will not be sewing for me in the next couple of weeks since I'm rather involved making costumes for my oldest son theater production of Peter Pan. He is playing one of the Lost Boys and he is super excited to be on stage for the first time since his involvement before had been as part of the tech crew. So far it has been lots of fun! I will share what I end up making with you.

Thursday, October 06, 2011

A baby quilt

Today I mailed the package with this quilt which is going to good friends' baby girl born the weekend of Irene (so glad she didn't get named after the storm!). Like I said before I thought it would have gone faster but I got a little fancy with the quilting, really it was more that you had to maneuver the quilt all around the needle to make the rectangles inside the blocks. I love how it turned out and I hope they enjoy the bright cheery colors I picked for them!

I have been wanting to make a modern backing and I thought this design went well with the quilt top, just pieced left overs from the top and used a pretty Kona solid. The binding is a Kaffe Fassett print that I found at a local shop.

Here is the tutorial I used for the quilt top.

Next up the Burda dress. I'm feeling much better and I am ready to sew again!