Sunday, July 09, 2017

Vogue 1550 Paco Peralta design for Vogue Patterns



I had been working on the culottes for a while. I wanted to make sure the fit was perfect since it would be very difficult to go back and adjust the side seams with the silk organza insets.( I'm making views C and D, above).

Me tomé mi tiempo trabajando en los gauchos. Quería estar segura de que me quedaran bien pues iba a ser difícil modificarlos después por la tira de organza que va en las costuras laterales.



I had to wait for the silk organza since I only had black at home and I wanted it in off white. I used a cross dyed linen from my stash which I love.


Tuve también que esperar a que me llegara la organza pues en casa sólo tenía color negro y yo quería usar un color crema.. El hilo que estoy usando ya lo tenIa.




I learned a new technique to finish the facings around a zipper and I love it. Tany showed how she used the technique as explained in the Sewing Divas blog.

Aprendí una nueva tecnica para como terminar las vistas que están alrededor del zipper. Tany mostró como ella terminó su zipper siguiendo las instrucciones en el blog de Sewing Divas



The culottes are done now and I'm starting on the top.

Los gauchos ya están terminados y empecé con la túnica.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

McCalls 7380, a shirtdress


I made this dress last summer ( and wore it at PR weekend in NYC this year!) and I loved how it turned out. The hidden placket was a challenge but if you follow the instructions it turns out just fine. That was the most challenging design feature.

Cosí éste vestido el verano pasado (¡y me lo puse durante el fin de semana en NYC este año!) y me encantó como quedó. Los botones están escondidos en el frente (¡no sé como se dice esto en español!) y fue un poquito complicado el coser pero si siguen las instrucciones queda bien.




Because of the fabric I chose the details don't show well in photographs. I did make a video of the hidden placket on Instagram but I couldn't find the file to post it here.

El diseño de la tela no se presta para enseñar detalles en fotos pero tengo un video para mostrar donde van los botones en Instagram. Tengo pena que no pude encontrar el video para incluirlo aquí.



I will probably make the version with sleeves in the future.

Probablemente haga la version con mangas en el futuro.

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Burda Style 11/2016 Mod 105



This top caught my attention after seeing versions made by Allison C and Sharon.

Este blusón me llamó la atención cuando se lo ví a  Allison C y Sharon.



Mine was made from a very stretchy rayon knit I bought when I visited Karen last summer. Since the fabric was very stretchy I did not include all the seam openings the pattern called for on the neckline.

El mío lo hice de un tejido que se estiraba de todos lados (de rayon) el cuál compré cuando visité a Karen el verano pasado. No incluí las aperturas alrededor del cuello para evitar que mi tela cogiera mala forma.



I have worn it once and I like it very much. Others say the ties drive them crazy. Time will tell if I get tired of them. By the way I did shortened the ties since they were super long as drafted.

Me lo he puesto una vez nada más y me gusta mucho. Otros dicen que las bandas les molestan. Con tiempo yo ya veré. Y sí acorté mis bandas, pues el patrón las tenía demasiado largas.

Monday, May 08, 2017

Hello blog!

It has been almost a year since I published a post! Life gets busy and so on. You can always catch me on Instagram (@cubanitacose) a much quicker way to share what I'm up to.

Hace casi un año que escribí mi último post! Las cosas de la vida y las responsabilidades interfieren. Siempre pueden ver en qué estoy siguiendome en Instagram (@cubanitacose) es mucho más fácil para mí mostrar en qué estoy allí.



This year the spring musical was Hello Dolly! and while it's not one of my favorite shows it was fun to put together costumes (gloves, hats, parasols!) The company we rent from had a wonderful assortment of costumes so the cast looked great. My main job was to fit and repair and put the outfits together. I also got to make a few headpieces. I almost forgot! I made 18 suffragette sashes. I researched the colors that represented the organization in the US in the period of the show.

Este año montamos el espectáculo musical Hello Dolly! y aunque no es uno de mis favoritos el vestuario fue muy divertido (¡somebreros, guantes y parasoles!). La compañia a quién le alquilamos estaba muy bien surtida de todo lo que necesitabamos. Mi trabajo principal fue modificar, arreglar, reparar cremalleras aunque también tuve la oportunidad de hacer varios adornos de cabeza. Oh! también hice unas bandas de sufragistas, para las cuáles usé telas que representaban los colores de la época en los Estados Unidos.





The flower head pieces I made

Los adornos de flores


These I attached to barrettes

Estas las pegué a hebillas para el cabello


And here I'm modeling the headpiece that Dolly wore during the classic number Hello Dolly, also my creation

Aquí estoy modelando el adorno que hice para el número principal Hello Dolly





Above are some of our lovely students. The dress on the right was too short so I added the navy accents and I added the flowers to a hat from our collection.

Arriba están un grupo de las alumnas. El vestido a la derecha era muy corto así que le agregué los detalles en azul marino y a un sombrero de nuestra colección le agregué flores.