Friday, September 10, 2010

A mostly Burda outfit



Here is my completed outfit! I'm glad that it looks how I envisioned, isn't great when it works out that way?

Vogue 1020 Knit coordinates

I bought this pattern for the dress but I decided that I liked all the pieces so they will all get made at one point. I started with the cardigan which I made using a very nice rayon blend knit I've had for quite a few years. It was perfect for this pattern since it has a wonderful drape. The ties were supposed to be sewn wrong side in and turned but I couldn't manage it with my fabric so instead I cut 2 in wide strips and used my bias binding maker to make them. They look just fine.



Besides the ties the cardigan closes with a button and thread loop. I followed Susan Khalje's tutorial in the Threads magazine site and it worked great.





Burda Style magazine top 11-2006- 111

There isn't much to say about this top, couldn't have been easier to sew. The neckline and armholes are turned in and topstitched with a double needle. I loved the neckline!


Burda Style magazine 7-2010- 108 Twist bubble skirt

Following the advise of another reviewer I subtracted 1.5 in from the length of the lining to prevent it from showing. Even with that I can sometimes see the lining. Twisting the skirt as instructed by Burda does not give you a perfectly laying hem. Other reviewers have not twisted their skirt as much and their hems lie more uniformly. I liked the look of the skirt in the magazine so I didn't modify the instructions.

7 comments:

  1. You're in style, top to toe. Even your nail polish coordinates with your outfit! Love the bubble skirt, and your jacket. Nice sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your whole outfit. I have that Vogue pattern also. I might have to pull that one out soon I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this outfit. The cardi is "a mon gout" as they say in French and the skirt is so cute!
    Thank you for stopping by my blog. Now I want to have a good look at your. So far,I like what I see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it great when it comes together the way you want?
    btw, those shoes are fantastic! love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lovely cardigan. I'm pleased it looks so good on you because I like the pattern but was disappointed when another reviewer didn't have such good luck with the pattern. Yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking outfit for transitioning into fall. Love the colors. I had a twisted bubble skirt and I loved the movement of it when I walked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this outfit! I need to find some double knit to make that jacket.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!