Monday, August 13, 2012

Vogue 1247 The top

 For the top of this very popular pattern I used a very lightweight linen from Michael's fabrics that my mom had given me; she made a beautiful tunic with this fabric years ago.

I believe this pattern needs  a  drapier  fabric than mine even though this was one of the recommended fabrics. As you can see there is poofiness going on with my top.



While I will wear the top it is really nice for hot weather, it is not the most figure flattering top I own. Like I said before I think this needs a softer fabric.


So in full disclosure the below pictures show how this top looked on me when I was done with it, yikes!! The neckline had stretched out and I thought I could fix it by taking it in front center above the waist, which gave me that nice peak right on my belly, not an attractive look.  Of course the rectangular shape of the design did not do me any favors.
 


So I removed the binding in the front pieces, stay stitched plus the neckline and brought back to its original length. I also undid the front seam to take in the same amount above and below the waist. Of course there were all the french seams meeting at center front that had to be partially redone.



I also added a lingerie holder at the shoulders to keep the neckline in place.

Looking back I should have taken into account the very wide neckline in this design which is hard for me to pull off with my narrow shoulders and I should have thought more about my fabric choice. I won't be rushing out to make another but I'm glad I was able to save this one since I do really like the fabric.

4 comments:

  1. Lisette, the top is perfectly wearable for a hot day. I wonder if you would get a better result going down a size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always liked this pattern. I have it, but haven't made it. I will definitely measure the depth of that neckline and go from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the seaming and it looks airy for a hot summer day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful fabric - in my opinion it looks perfectly and is a good choice for this pattern. Additionally the color is so fresh and fits perfectly the beige of your shorts:-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!