Sunday, February 17, 2013

A quick update

I finished Dorothy! And I did not take a single picture! This is how crazy things have been! But don't worry there will be plenty of pictures when the show starts. I did all the binding like I wanted and it turned out perfect and a perfect fit! The actress was thrilled.

I will show you the bolero I'm still working on for Glinda to wear. It looks great with the dress we are using. I will take pictures soon. Here is the pattern Burda 7686. It turns out while I have tons of bolero patterns they were all for knits and I really didn't have the time to think about allowing  ease and so on, so I bought one for wovens.

It turns out I won't be making the lion's costume which gives me more time for the 18 capelets I am making for the Poppies to wear to simulate being covered with snow. I will be making view A from this super cute reprint of a 1948 pattern.

Can I tell you what a wonderful chaotic, fun, and exhilarating day I had yesterday? The lady who has the majority of the costumes we use came in and we fitted the majority of the cast (close to a 100!) Later will come adding those details that finish a look and repairing and final fittings. I am very lucky to have the help of another mom who is creative as well as fun and easy to get along with and she can also handle a needle when necessary!

I apologize for my lack of commenting on your blogs, I will have a lot to read when the craziness dies down! I hope that you are all well and creating some wonderful garments for me to admire later on!

Monday, February 04, 2013

Making it my own

So how do you take an iconic character like Dorothy and give it your own special touch? Well there isn't much that I can change but it's all in the details, isn't it?

Dorothy in Weber's production
Before I knew what the director was thinking for the show I started to look for inspiration and I loved what Andrew Lloyd Weber's production had done with the set and costumes.  I now know the director wants a traditional look for the leads.

I love the bias binding and flat piping that the designer incorporated in the dress so I plan to do the same. For the blouse, which in the pattern is not a separate garment but just the upper bodice, I will stay with the traditional look from the movie with the high neckline and I will add rick-rack but still haven't decide where. I found at Joann's some big white very retro looking buttons which I love and will enhance the retro look I'm going for.

I modified the pattern and I'm now ready to cut and do a first fitting on Wed. After Dorothy it will be the Lion and Glinda.

I will keep you posted!