Friday, February 08, 2008

Butterick 4976 Pattern Review



I completed this dress a while ago and got to wear it two days ago. Before I get into all the changes I want to say that I wore it for about 8 hours while I did my translation work, which involved a lot of walking, sitting and talking. It was extremely comfortable, the fabrics are a polyester knit that I bought from EmmaOneSock I don't remember how long ago, I was neither hot nor cold which it is something I worry about when wearing polyester.

Ok, I ended up reducing the lenght of the bodice to eliminate most of the gaping and then I used clear elastic to bring the neckline closer to the body. Now I always have a hard time doing this technique, it seems simple enough but it is hard to judge the distribution of the elastic when applying it so that it doesn't become one wrinkly mess when you're done. I always have to add length to the bodice because I am long waisted so I was really surprised to have so much extra fabric in this pattern. Of course the fact that the fabric was really stretchy might have added to the problem. Something else to note about the fit is that this pattern is designed for knits and wovens so maybe I should have gone down a size because I used a knit, the fit in the bodice is looser that what I'm used to in knits. I did not add the zipper since I can easily fit this dress over my head.

This is not one of my favorite dresses the zigzag skirt certainly adds width, and the bodice fit is not perfect. On the other hand it is very comfortable and I certainly will wear it.

Will I make this pattern again?No, there are a couple of Burda WOF dresses I want to do instead.

The picture was snapped by mom on my way out the door, excuse the mess on the rug, the kids had been playing Life (the Sponge Bob version)...

1 comment:

  1. Excellent job, Lisette! This dress is a classic and a great addition to any wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!