Thursday, May 14, 2009

A prom dress



My mom used to make me all my party dresses, so when senior prom came along we headed out to the fabric store to find a pattern and fabric. I picked this Vogue pattern but we could not find a fabric we liked, so my mom after work (she worked at a bank that was located where they now do the Today show in New York City) went to the fabric stores in the city and found this beautiful silky fabric. I wanted to coordinate with royal blue (after all this was 1980) so mom made me the belt from beaded trim and I wore royal blue peep-toe pumps. My date brought me a blue orchid corsage, all in all matchy-matchy.

What was really funny, well not so much back then, it's that my neighbor whose personality and likes were as different from me as can be chose the same pattern for her dress!!Thank God her mom made her the short version and in a different color; well we both laughed at the coincidence and it wasn't like we would be spending time together at the party.

Here is one more with my brother who as a freshman got to go to the prom with one of my friends (he went to every prom after that except his own, I guess he had had enough!)

4 comments:

  1. You had good taste back then, as you do now. Beautiful dress. The pic of you and your brother is precious. Thanks for showing us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! And yes, royal blue was REQUIRED in the 80s. I would love to have that Vogue pattern now! It's a classic style that always comes back in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man or man. I LOVE this. Are you amused to see that style back? You look darling!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!