Sunday, September 13, 2009
The Pink Quilt is finished
It's done! Yesterday I finished the binding that is all done by hand, I rather not fiddle with trying to catch both sides of the binding when sewing it in the sewing machine.
The back is interesting...I decided that I would use the left over fabrics from the quilt top, pieced in a random pattern and I quickly realized that I didn't have enough, so I introduced the blue fabric. I like to think that I constructed the back in the way quilts used to be made, with whatever fabrics were available.
I quilted in a new way for me, 1/4 inch away from seamlines in a criss-cross pattern, I really like it. I used Gutternmann's cotton thread for the quilting which I had never used before (always bought Mettler's) and it worked great; the fact that is sold at Joann's is very convenient!
I went window shopping on Friday and I'm so excited to start fall sewing! I won't say which pattern I'll start with because it always seems to change; let me say that I have several patterns already modified so I might start there.
This past week to take a break from the troublesome lace tunic I started Valley Yarns Staghorn Cabled Tunic. I bought this pattern at last years Stitches East with the Northampton yarn called for. So far so good! Sadly this year Stitches East is in Connecticut instead of Baltimore =(
Keep on sewing! I'm enjoying looking at everyone's plans, and hope that one day I'll put one together...