Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Textile Studio Madison Avenue Dress
I have had this pattern a long time, I loved the simplicity when I first bought it and I love it still. As you can see I shortened mine quite a bit, I wanted to be able to wear it with flats in the summer and boots in the fall, and I thought this length would give me more flexibility. I still see making this in a stretch velvet in the longest length, very elegant.
I had never worked with patterns from this company so I needed to find out about the fit, but I figure in this easy to work knit from Emma One Sock and because it was a simple design I couldn't go too wrong. I like the fit. One thing I would do different is a forward shoulder adjustment, this is the first time in a pattern where the shoulder line is so off.
Something else that showed up when I took a picture of the back is the wrinkles at the waistline. I don't have swayback, so I know that's not the problem. Any ideas? Could it be that having the shoulder seam off is causing problems in the bodice?
Other than adding to the waist length I made no other alterations. I did notice that the fit is snug at the waist/hip area; I went up a size from their recommended size, to give myself some insurance and still had to make 1/4" seams in that area.
As far as construction I added 1/4" elastic in the shoulder seam allowance, I usually use clear elastic but I'm out so I used what I had in hand.
I also stitched down the neckline facings, they were flopping around driving me crazy. The directions have you stitching in the ditch to tack them down but it wasn't enough. I always remember Connie Long telling us in her knits class at G Street Fabrics that there is no reason not to stitch down the facings.
I have some fabric leftover which I'm going to use make a simple top so stay tuned!