Friday, July 22, 2011
Burda Style 6-2011 dress 107
This is another one of those simple to sew patterns that Burda is favoring. Because the fabric I used was pretty sheer, a cotton lawn from my stash, I underlined the dress with cotton batiste and then treated the pieces as one. I used the facings that are included for the version that is not lined and stitched them by hand to the batiste for neatness.
I only had difficulty when it was time to turn and stitch the hem on the cut-on sleeves, being this is a woven fabric it wasn't cooperating so I trimmed the hem to about 1/4 inch and that worked. I don't know if there is another way of doing this type of sleeve hem when there is no lining involved.
I included the pockets so when you use them you can see the A line shape of the dress. I did take the dress in at the side seams in the bodice quite a bit, it was looking to much like a house dress, so I gave it some shape.
I fell in love with these shoes when I saw them at DSW, I guess the feeling was mutual because they followed me home =)
My son turned 17 yesterday. As we sang happy birthday he was holding the phone so that his girlfriend who is out of state could be part of it.