Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I love shirtdresses



I wanted to thank you all for your wonderful wishes for my mom. She has enjoyed reading all of your comments!

Last summer I made the orange Burda Style dress. I enjoyed making this pattern, while simple in looks it gave me the opportunity to learn how to make a collar with stand and a yoke.

This time I wanted a shirtdress with a full skirt and found this McCalls pattern. This is a very out of print pattern, dated 1995 (I refuse to call it vintage!). At first I wasn't too sure about the pattern, the collar has no stand and there are no darts for shaping on the bodice. Then I decided to relax, after all Connie Long in one of my favorite books (The easy guide to sewing blouses) covers this type of collar and I figured it will give me a chance to compare it to my orange dress. So I have cut view A, the hem will be longer than the short view but not as long as the long length.




I'm using a beautiful cotton shirting from Michael's fabrics. I had like 7 yards of this fabric because when I bought it my mom was still sewing and wanted some. Now I have plenty for another project! The pattern came from my mom's stash; I wasn't sewing garments in 1995, I was making curtains for my new home in my mother's in law 1950s singer, so I think the pattern was one of the last my mom bought to make for me.

I have finished the dress below from Burda Style June 2011 issue. I hope to get pictures soon to share.

2 comments:

  1. I love the look of shirt dresses. I can't wait to see this and your Burda dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like shirt dresses - they are practical, but so feminine. I also can't wait your burda dress:-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!