Sunday, July 10, 2011

A day of celebration



Recently my mom turned 80. We planned to surprise her with a get together after I got back from vacation, so yesterday was the day. My family and I, my brother and his family and mom's best friend gathered in the back yard and surprised her; she had no clue, mission accomplished.



I had hinted before that I was working on a sewing project that I couldn't talk about and the quilt I made for her was it. The panels were embroidered by my mom quite a few years ago; she thought she was going to start quilting but didn't like the cutting and piecing involved, however she loves to embroider so she had bought the redwork designs for this quilt and then she gave me the panels. I have had them in storage since I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with them and then I thought it would be a great gift for her 80th celebration.



I embroidered the center panel with our initials to show our joint cooperation and to highlight her beautiful embroidered I decided on simple framing in red. The hand quilting was done freehand and then I machine quilted in the ditch around the frames. The backing fabric is muslin I didn't want any color or print to come through to the front panels.



We had a lovely afternoon, we talked, the kids played (well the youngest played and we were entertained) and we enjoyed the food we all worked hard at getting ready. All in all a successful event!

16 comments:

  1. The quilt is magnificent, and such a lovely back story. I wish your Mum long life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless her heart! The redwork quilt is lovely, and I'm sure she will cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Such a beautiful quilt, and I love red too. Happy birthday to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beautiful thought and it is a beautiful quilt. Long life to your Mum! She must have been thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful! The quilt is beautiful and how fun to pull off such a great surprise! Happy Birthday to your lovely mother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your Mother and what a wonderful gift, the quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a stroke of genius. Its a lovely quilt, and I bet she was so happy you remembered her in such a special way. Just Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful collaboration! I really like the simple, monochromatic style of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the best to your Mom! The present is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a wonderful gift, both with the beautiful quilt and the surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, what a great memory! I love the simple red and white. Happy Birthday to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful and thoughtful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday to your Mom!
    What a lovely surprise party!
    Your quilt is beautiful and such a fantastic gift with both your work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful gift to your mother. The quilt is beautiful! Happy birthday to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Transmite mis felicitaciones a tu mamá,y me alegro que hayais tenido un aniversario tan feliz. Que bueno tener a tu madre cerca.

    Felicitaciones con respecto al regalo, al edredón, pues es precioso Lisette. Además, me gusta mucho ver estos bordados, que ya parece que van desapareciendo. En España, este punto de bordado se llama "Punto de Palestrina", que debe su nombre a una ciudad de la provincia de Roma (Italia). Supongo que debe de tener algún origen allí. Que curioso verdad ?.

    Un abrazo,

    Paco

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!