Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Burda 4/2011 123 Maxi skirt


So I finally got to make the linen maxi I wanted at the end of the summer, oh well. I used the linen from this other Burda dress. I still have fabric left.


The grain runs straight through the center of the side panels, front and back which gives this pattern a lovely drape. Because I needed a bit taken at the waist I did stay-stitch plus at the waistline and secured it with cotton stay tape, then I attached the waistband.

The invisible zipper goes in the seam of the right side back panel which made fitting this skirt a breeze, especially since I ended up taking in the side seams.


I did not line the skirt, I believe one of the versions is lined, also I eliminated the pockets. The linen was very drapey and shifted quite easily when cutting and sewing so I did not want to complicate things; I also like the close fit around the hips I was able to get without pockets.

This skirt was finished before the hurricane and I already wore it. I loved the feeling of the airy cool linen around my legs when moving and I love the ways it looks. This pattern would be great in wool crepe, and I think I see it in my future for fall and winter.

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how that skirt drapes and it must swish wonderfully when you walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:46 AM

    I love the whole outfit. Perfect for everyday with a little edge to it!! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto. I love it too. Now that the days are cooler, this maxi skirt is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the smooth front waistline. Not lots of extra fabric. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look very good in maxi length. The skirt has an amazing color - very good job:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll definitely be able to wear that throughout the Fall so it doesn't have to get put away anytime soon! Looks like a great casual breezy piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've influenced me here. I have firmed up the idea of a maxi skirt for summer. Love the floaty linen and it is beautifully made as always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah linen, what a dream fabric and this skirt is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this is so perfect love "working" with linen. So soft and fresh for high temperatures, your skirt is so flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty, looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a terrific, long skirt. Perfect for fall.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!