Instagram

Instagram I'm on Instagram!

Monday, August 17, 2009

BurdaWOF 2-2009 124 A



I made view A which is supposed to be unlined, view B has underlining because is made with lace. My dress has an underlined bodice and a lining from the empire waist down. The fabric, an embroidered cotton from Metro Textiles needed I believed extra body to carry this semi-fitted look and a lining just makes the garment hang better and more comfortable to wear. The underlining/lining fabric is cotton batiste;the fashion fabric was washed as well as the batiste but the finished dress will go to the cleaners to preserve the shaping in the dress.

The back has a pretty v neck.


The facings are interfaced and tacked down by hand to the underlining.

The hem is interfaced up the finished hem line for a crisp look; I attached rayon seam binding to the raw edge and sewed it by hand.

The shoulder seams and the armhole edges are bound with packaged bias binding, I would like them not as wide better but I was in a hurry to finish and didn't want to redo them. I sewed by hand the armhole allowances to the underlining.

The fit in the bodice felt a bit loose to me, even though I made my usual size. I might have done more fitting but I really wanted to wear this dress to an event this past weekend. All in all I like this dress, is simple but elegant and it will look a lot more casual made up in a print.

I'm still deciding what my next project will be. I'm thinking linen even though the summer is ending...

1 comment:

  1. How elegant and chic, and the fabric choice is perfect. Thanks for sharing the inner details, and notes on construction. I'm sure you looked just lovely wearing the dress.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!