Monday, June 29, 2009

Playing with big print fabric

Today I traced Burda WOF 3-2009-101 which I love but was afraid it didn't have enough shaping. However after seeing the reviews I decided to go for it. Now the fabric I plan to use is this one from Gorgeous Fabrics which has a very large repeat about 24 in. If you look at the fabric with the selvages up and down the color gray is heavy on one side and not the other. It didn't bother me because the dress is cinched at the waist and I figure the colors would come together anyways. Then I looked at Phillys entry on how she played with the same fabric in a different color way. As you can see she went with the selvage going left to right. While I see that her dress looks very nice, her pattern is very different from mine, the print in hers is clearly displayed (my gray/dark blue color is the same as her light blue) which will not be the case for mine. But of course now I'm thinking... I couldn't use this Burda pattern if I turned my grainline 90 deg, the fabric is only 45 inches wide, and I really have my heart set on this pattern with this fabric.

I'm going to sleep on it and see. What do you all think?

1 comment:

  1. I think that it would work if you ran the grainline the same as phyllis. the major difference in the styling is the degree of fullness. It will be interesting to see what you turn out.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!